Tuesday, September 1, 2009

First Day of Classes and Discovering the Gelato Gem

Classes started today. I was nervous for Italian and excited for History of the Italian Jews. By the end of the day I love Italian and dropped Italian Jews. I was under the impression that the class would be a bit more about religion (I'm not sure why exactly) but it's too much history and I won't be able to have it count towards my major. Plus it was a 3 hour class that was painful to get through. It seems interesting but being bored in the first class is never a good sign. When I got back to mio apartamento I looked at the available courses and found one I thought I would like. It's called Sociology and Culture and basically studies the way cultures view food in different ways. Why some like one type of food and others don't, the way people react to food...I'll get a better idea of what it's about when I start but two of my roommates are in the class so I'm so excited. Plus the focus is on food, particuarly Italian food so what's not to like???
Intermediate Italian went better than expected. I remembered more than I thought and I really like the professor. I already feel more comfortable with speaking.
To end of a pretty crappy day (with the whole lock-out thing)my roommates and I decided to get gelato. My Italian professor told us to go to this one place across the Arno called La Carraia and my friend Joci's homestay 'sister' also recommended it. We walked to try it out after dinner and it was so good!! Best AND cheapest yet. 1.30 euros! It was a very nice end to a frustrating day...tomorrow I have Italian and the culture course and my roommate shelly and I are going for a run in the morning! must balance out all the gelato! ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment