Friday, September 4, 2009

Siena Tomorrow

I think I forgot the beauty in doing nothing. When you go to a place you've never been you feel like you always need to be doing something. In Florence there's always a museum to see, a church to go to, an area to explore and a gelato flavor to try. But when I stop to think for a minute, I realize that I'm going to be here until December and that it's OK to have a day where I don't spend every minute of the day doing something. I woke up this morning to the lovely sound of two Italian men yelling back and forth from our kitchen to our bathroom, around 10am. Last night was a late night so I wasn't asleep until 4am. Our hot water was being fixed from 9-11:40 and the guys literally did not stop yelling. I stayed hidden in my room until they finally left at 11:40 and went from lying in bed on my computer to sitting at the kitchen table on my computer. Great progress.
Around 1pm two of my roommates emerged from their rooms, finally awake. Shelly and I decided that it was panino time so we threw some clothes on and went across the street. It turns out that this panino place we've been going to, Antico Noe, is considered one of the best panino places in Florence! It has rave reviews online. Now that my friends and I have befriended the people who work there, maybe we'll get a disconto?? We even hung out with Andrea last night and I think it's safe to say that we're not just being his friend for the panino. We carried our hot paninis back to our apartamento to do some work and about 30 minutes of 'doing work' we got bored and decided to go to Piazza Santa Croce to sketch/read. It was so relaxing to just sit and draw (even if it was done badly). It's definitely going to be a favorite pastime of mine. Maybe I'll go and try to sketch the duomo one day...ha.
That basically sums up my day. My beautifully simple day. I cooked dinner for myself again and despite not getting anything academic done today, I feel like it was a productive day. Tomorrow we're off to Siena for the day! Photos and stories are soon to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment