Friday, September 18, 2009

Finally Went to A Museum

Shelly and I decided it was about time that we venture to a museum. We've been living here for three weeks and have yet to go to the Uffizi or the Academia. So today, we hit up the Uffizi and it was INCREDIBLE. Studying Italian Renaissance Painting and being able to go and see all the paintings in the Uffizi is one of the best parts of Florence. Plus, our Amici cards get us in for free and allow us to cut the line. It's great. I honestly didn't know what to see in the Uffizi. I knew beforehand that it is the mostm famous museum in Firenze but I wasn't really sure why...of course I figured it out very quickly after entering. One of the first rooms we went into contained The aesta from Giotto, Cimabue and Doccio. Seeing all three of those paintings of the Madonna Enthroned was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. We compared the three paintings in class so it was extremely interesting to see all three of them in the same room. I could've spent hours in there. I felt bad because there was so much information that I wanted to share with my friends about the painting but I'm sure I ended up sounding really pretentious. I just really love Italian art.
We wandered around the Uffizi for a little over an hour but I know I'm going to have to go back. I saw the Maesta collection and Titian's Venus of Urbino, but I didn't get to the Birth of Venus or the Caravaggio collection. There is just so much to see there that I didn't want to overwhelm myself trying to see it all at once. I'll just have to go back!
Other than the Uffizi, our day was very relaxed. My roommates and I decided to have a mini-dinner party with just the four of us. Shelly made stuffed tomatoes with spinach, mozzerella and pesto, Nami made risotto with peas, onions and asparagus and I 'baked' no-bake cookies. It was so nice and relaxing to all eat together!
Tomorrow we have to catch the train at 7:55 for Cinque Terre! We'll be back Sunday night...so it's bedtime for me...until then...

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you everytime I read your blog. I can't wait to have my own personal guided tour from my Bella Daughter. Ciao Bella. Mamma

    ReplyDelete