Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Beautiful Run

This will be short but I have to document it. I went for a run this morning along the Arno. It rained all day yesterday and so this morning was really cold. The weather in Italy is completely random. One second it's raining and the next it's sunny (reminds me a bit of home). So when I started my run around 8:30 it was cloudy but looked as though it would clear away. About 15-20 min in it started to rain. I ran across one of the bridges on the edge of the city center and started making my way back in, towards the Ponte Vecchio. About 5 min later I began to notice a rainbow forming directly in front of me. Slowly the rainbow became brighter and more colorful, and eventually I noticed that another one was forming directly above it. As I kept running, the cold rain falling in my face, both rainbows got bolder until I realized that they arched all the way across the river and seemed to be forming a bubble around the city of Florence. It was incredible. One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. The colors of the rainbow contrastly greatly with the dark grey clouds behind them. One end was on one side of the river while the other ended between the Duomo and Santa Croce. INCREDIBLE. Part of me wanted to stop and stare for as long as it lasted, but most of me wanted to just keep running. As stupid as it sounds, I thought I could get to the end and be standing in one of the rainbows. But we all know that's impossible. Duh. So as I kept running the rainbows got more and more beautiful and then in an instant, they disappeared. Just like that. I was pretty bummed that I didn't have a rainbow to keep me company for the rest of my run, but it was truely amazing as it lasted. I only kick myself because I don't go running with a camera...

No comments:

Post a Comment